domingo, 28 de septiembre de 2008

   Today was a big election in Ecuador... there has been a new proposed constitution and the vote was si or no; to pass it or not.  I don't really know what the old constitution said or what the new one says, but the Ecuadorians I talked to were for passing the referendum for the new constitution - wanting a change.  I read that Correa, the president of Ecuador, projects that the referendum was passed.  Elections in Ecuador are a big deal with a lot of campaigning - people driving around in trucks announcing their political views on a mega phone.  Correa was seen in McDonalds yesterday speaking for his cause.  There is the potential for strikes, crowds protesting, tear gas... although as far as I know this was a peaceful vote.  It is also a dry weekend for the country... the alcohol section is covered in the grocery stores and not available in restaurants.  If you show up to vote intoxicated you are put in prison. 
   I climbed Rucu again yesterday.  I love the opportunity to get out of the city and be in the open air.  As we got towards the top, it started snowing/hailing little pellets of cold white substance.  It was cold and then slippery.  It was a cloudy day, so we were moving in the clouds.  Amidst the gray white mist we were climbing through, the green of the ground seemed greener than usual.  After the snow, I could smell the soil.  I love how the change in the atmosphere heightens the senses.  

No hay comentarios: