domingo, 14 de septiembre de 2008


   Yesterday I hiked to the top of Rucu, a peak that is 15,414 feet above sea level (higher than any peak in the lower 48 states, I'm told), part of the Pichincha range.  Rucu means "old man" in Quichua, and it does look like the profile of the face of an old man lying down.  There were some thrilling parts, including the Paso de los Muertos (Pass of the Dead), with sharp drop offs an either side of a narrow, rocky passage.  I started out on the hike, expecting just that - a leisurely jaunt to the top of the mountain, using my legs.  I hadn't anticipated holding on for dear life with every part of my body.  It was awesome and totally worthwhile.  The view from the top was absolutely amazing.  The wind and being outside in open air without pollution was my favorite part of the day.  When we got back to the city I got a headache, partially from my sunburn, and partially from the exhaust smells.  I miss the country.      
           (Holding on for dear life across the Paso de los Muertos - although you can't tell, there are very steep drop offs on either side of me)                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    (The summit)                                                                      

No hay comentarios: