lunes, 1 de septiembre de 2008

   In the past 22 years I have accumulated a few places that I consider home.  The farm I grew up on, the lake I've lived on the past 4 summers, La Merced, Ecuador, and whatever my present address is.  Saturday I went to La Merced, only to find myself a tourist in a world supremely familiar to me.  The buildings still the same, the woodsy smell conjuring memories otherwise distant, but the place no longer belonging to me.  I walked the same steps I've walked hundreds of times before, but I am four years removed from the home I knew.  
   I now live in Quito, a city of 2 million people.  I live close to the airport, so airplanes commonly fly past my dining room window.  On clear days, I have a view of Cotopoxi, a volcano situated south of the city.  Domino's Pizza is my next door neighbor, which is especially useful on Tuesdays - the two for one day.  There are 5 keys needed to get from the sidewalk outside to my apartment inside.  When the keys are forgotten at home, there is a compliant guard who is willing to let us in, regardless of the late hour.  
   My first teaching job is at an international school, the Alliance Academy, where I have found a very unique community.  I teach English as a Second (or third, or fourth) Language to second, third, and sixth graders.  I love my job.        
   This life I have chosen, this opportunity God has given me, I live in expectation of simplicity, struggle, adventure, challenge, and amidst love, joy, grace, and gratefulness.  
   I am not a blog reader, nor have I ever before been a blog writer.     

1 comentario:

Kala dijo...

Amy, I am so excited that you are blogging! First, because I LOVE your writing and second, because I feel like I can be a part of your life. I am SO proud of you! It is so wonderful to see someone follow their heart, even if it is a little scary. Congrats on the Spanish! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of the opportunity to practice (and to be applauded by a group of people for my skill ;) I credit Sandi for all you know). I hope Thursday night works to Skype! Love, Kala