martes, 3 de noviembre de 2009

Holiday in Ecuador. No school Monday or Tuesday, due to Dia de los Difuntos and Cuenca Day. The first is a celebration for those who have died. People go to the cemetary with food to share with their deceased loved ones. The typical food of this holiday is Guaguas de Pan (pronounced wawas de pawn), which are little bread loaves made in the shape of a baby, accompanied with Colada Morada, a hot juice-type drink made of a variety of fruits and spices, including mora. In the weeks leading up to Dia de los Difuntos, there are Guaguas de Pan and Colada Morada found in every bakery and cafe, on nearly street corner.

Due to the holiday, I went to the beach. The most notable moment of the trip was crossing the finish line of the 15K race I ran. It was my first race of that nature. We started in Manta and ran 15 kilometers to Ciudad Alfaro, which is 1 1/2K uphill from Montecristi... yes, the final kilometer and a half of the race were uphill. I don't mean a slight incline... this was a serious hill - it felt like a mini mountain that I was expected to summit after running already for longer than I ever had in my life. I cannot describe the shivers I felt as the people cheered me on as I ran past.

I went with 3 girls on the trip, two of whom are Ecuadorian, so they know more of what traveling to the coast can offer. Upon arriving the first morning, we hopped in a taxi and asked to be brought to the Mercado, a two story building with all the fresh meat, fruits, and vegetables a person could ever want. By fresh meat, I mean hanging slabs of red meat and plucked chickens, still in full chicken form, waiting for insects to land on them and for the hot coastal climate to spoil them before being purchased. Not exactly appetizing. However, upstairs were several little food booths. Here we found breakfast. Platano verde, mixed with cheese and sausage, fried into a delicious ball they call bolon.

Fresh seafood every day, playing the the waves, and batidos... oh beach, I love you.

No hay comentarios: